Monday, June 27, 2005

Windows cannot find HELPCTR.EXE

Symptom:-When one presses Help and Support on the Start menu, he/she receives a message similar to Windows cannot find HELPCTR.EXE.

Cause:-These behaviors are indicative of a missing or damaged registry entry.

Resolution:-

Start>Run>Type in:cmd.exe>ok
In the command prompt window just copy and paste the following command followed by pressing the ENTER key:-

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe" /F

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nice blog, guys. This has helped me address a couple of problems earlier and I thought of giving back something too.

I just came across a solution to this problem which I got resolved. Hope it works for you too.

I found it here:

http://systemsonline.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=50

Unknown said...

Thanks a mill !! This also solved my problem.
Rgds
Neo

wanderer said...

Thanks a lot.Finally solved it...This problem made me sick and what they have told in Microsoft support site was of no help...

Dot said...

This only changed the error message for me. Now it says I need to start the service called "Help and Support," which is what I did that caused the error message. Guess I've got more than one problem.

Harsimran Singh said...

thnx a ton !!!!